Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Who knew Exercise could be fun and build character?

If you are looking for a place that encourages discipline, character, integrity and relationship while teaching your child or yourself how to be physically fit and be able to take care of yourself if attacked then look no further than Locke’s Karate Academy. This school is a member of the United Tang Soo Do federation and teaches two types of martial arts; Tang Soo Do and Okinawan Goju-Ryu. The instructors are well trained and work hard to encourage you to push your limits and reach your goals. They emphasize discipline and integrity as integral parts of the curriculum. You are not going to go here and just learn how to kick and punch, but also how to be a person of strong character! 

My favorite is watching Instructor Locke, work with the children. She happens to be Master Locke's mother and has a very disciplined yet fun way of leading  the Juniors (7 and younger) and Seniors (8 to 14 I think). She gives them encouragement and calls them out when they need it. My daughter has become much more self-confident and obedient since starting glasses 6 months ago. She brings the school expectations home and for the most part lives up to them. She thinks the class is fun, and hates it when she has to miss it for any reason, including snow days! 

For myself, I have found Master Locke and my classmates to be very encouraging in my own path to learn Tang Soo Do. He tells me on a regular basis that he wants to see improvement, even if it is a little at a time. As a result I can now do 40 push-ups, slowly; six months ago I couldn’t even do 1! I also find that I stand taller and am beginning to actually enjoy the tough work outs. While he pushes you to improve, he also encourages you to know your own limits. He wants you to be able to push past those limits, but not so fast that you injure yourself.

 Gracie and I enjoy going to classes and building the relationship with the instructors and our classmates. We are also enjoying climbing that belt ladder together and I look forward to the day we both receive our black belts! This school fits in well with our spiritual life and our recreational life; seeing as it puts a strong emphasis on honor and character just like our Christian faith and middle ages fantasy world of Eldaraenth! So, if you are looking for a karate school that actually instills the qualities stressed by the traditional schools, while having a fun and caring teaching staff then check out Locke’s Karate Academy in Belton, Missouri!

No comments:

Post a Comment