Friday, March 18, 2011

It's easy to have a clean, grean, home!

About a year ago I decided to try to keep a greener, cleaner home.  I started researching economical and ecological ways to do this; my research led me to a book that I have found indispensable, The Naturally Clean Home, by Karyn Siegel-Maier. This book contains 150 super easy, yummy smelling recipes for everything from laundry detergent to air fresheners. In the first chapter she explains how to take care of the herbs you will use and what you will need in your tool box. At the end of this chapter she gives you a chart that tells you the specific uses and attributes of the herbs and essential oils you will use. All of the oils have anti-bacterial,anti-viral and/or anti-biotic properties which makes them perfect for keeping a clean home. These properties also allow you to keep a safe home without using harsh chemicals. It is a little expensive to put your tool box together with the purchasing of oils and such; but when you spread out the cost over time and the fact that you can get several batches of cleaner out of each bottle of oil then  it actually ends up cheaper than buying those ready made cleaners.  I have truly grown to enjoy cleaning with these cleaners and love the fact that my laundry smells fresher,my bathroom sparkles brighter and I am not putting any more harmful cleaners into my family's breathing space.  This book has joined my The Joy of Cooking book on the shelf of well used and slightly stained books.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your kind words on my blog!

    And I agree, a clean, green home is WONDERFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. I've also read you homeschooling blog now, I was both home-schooled using both Montessori and other methods.
    And Thanks for reading this post!

    ReplyDelete